Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A few of them

These are a few of the things we have found this year. The pipe above is made of clay and I dug it out of a fire pit.along with some real big chunks of pottery. Will show another time.


Spear point is as long as your hand. This is the biggest piece of painted pottery I have found so far. We have not cleaned the black sooty ash off of any of the latest big pieces so don't know if they are painted or not. A lot of it is and a lot of the bigger pieces seem to be a plain utilitarian type pottery. Some is red glazed though. This small chunk of black on white is the only piece of this type I have found. Most of the painted stuff in ths area is mostly red on buff. A few years ago I did find 2 pieces of white pottery with both red and black paint. When I did some research I found most of that type of pottery was Navaho. May have been a trade piece. Don't see very much white pottery around this part of the state. I don't think they have the clay for it here. Some white glazing is all.


This is just a few of the better arrowheads. Phillip found the little pestle. Good timing since we sold the paintpot last year. We'd have gotten a lot better price if we had sold them together. A few years ago Phillip found a half of a big one. From the area he found it, it was probably used on a hole in a big boulder. There were a number of holes around. I hiked up that canyon and Phillip took Bruce up there one year when they were down there. Over a 6 and a half miles round trip.

So much for now, It's my bedtime.

Granny.





1 comment:

Bull River Gal said...

The pipe is pretty cool find. I like how worn the pestle is....some hands had really worked with that over the years!! Good Finds!!