Friday, July 27, 2012

Floats and fairs

How's it going out there everybody?  Things are pretty much rolling along here in Billings.  Nothing too exciting, but I'm keeping busy.  I have finished a week's worth of lectures for my intro physics courses and hopefully by the end of today I'll have week two finished.  

I have been able to squeeze in some fun though.  Last week Steph and I were planning on some car camping along the Gallatin River south of Bozeman.  Steph was poking around on the web and found out that the Gallatin County fair was going on.  We decided to check it out before heading to the camping area.

Growing up I loved going to the fair.  The sounds of the rides and the smell of fried bread and cotton candy would always put a smile on my face.  I remember the fried bread being called elephant ears but now all the booths said "funnel cake."  Hmm... must be an Idaho thing.  Now that I'm older the rides do not interest me, I'd probably barf if I tried riding them.  However, I really like the exhibits.  It's fun to check out all the local talent from pictures to plants, I like it all.  Steph and I were talking about fairs on the drive over to Bozeman and during our conversation I realized that I haven't been to a fair since 1994.  I don't know why I guess I just got too wrapped up in the everyday rat-race.  It was fun and I think I'll try the Montana State Fair next year.

This morning I was driving by my new place of employment and noticed some hot air balloons in the soccer field.  It is not everyday that this happens so I zipped into the parking lot, jumped out and snapped a picture before they ascended to the heavens.  Pretty cool.  If I wasn't heading back home I would have whipped out a $20 bill and said to the operator "hey man, how about a Jackson for a float around the city, whaddya say there tough guy?"

2 comments:

Rockhunter said...

I think the last fair I went to was in 91 or 92. Sounds like fun.I too liked all the exibits. You guys remember the exibits we all entered? You ought to remember the big ballons floating over the Rathdrum prairie?

Jake said...

Yeah Grandma, it seems like you had your booth set up at just about every fair. Didn't Rathdrum something like "Rathdrum Days" or something? I think Post Falls had "Pioneer Days" I dunno I could be getting it all mixed up. I do remember the "grab bags" of polished rocks, and the pet rocks with toy 'eyes' on them.

Ahhhh.... days of yore... well I'm glad that fairs haven't changed much. I'll have to get out to more of them now that I'm pretty much settled down. Who knows maybe I can set up a 'science booth' at the fair?