Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hiking report from the Beartooth Mts.

Howdy y'all!  I hope everybody had a wonderful 4th of July holiday!  Ours was pretty low-key.  We just went out for a short walk and did some fishing.  I've been slackin' in downloading pictures to my computer.  Normally I'm on the ball with this stuff, but lately I accumulated a backlog.  Here are a few of my favorite pics from our last few outings.

Two weekends ago we went for a hike up the East Rosebud Creek trail.  Here is a picture of East Rosebud Lake.

We got a late start which was unfortunate because it was hot, hot, hot!  By the time we hit the trail (noon) it was already in the mid 90's.  Steph was a trooper though and persuaded me to hike on.  I wanted to wuss out and turn around but Steph wanted to reach Elk Lake.  What made the hike extra tough was that a fire had ripped through the area in the mid 1990's so all the trees were only a couple feet high so there wasn't much shade to be had.  However, the flip side was that around every corner was an unobstructed view of the beautiful scenery.

After what seemed like an eternity we reached Elk Lake.  I went for a head dunk, but in retrospect I should have jumped in clothes-and-all because it didn't take long for me to get hot again on the walk back to the car.


On the 4th we went for a short walk up to Woodbyne Falls.  It was very pretty and some nice folks snapped a picture for us.
After checking out the falls we had a picnic lunch and stopped at a few places along the Stillwater River on the way back home for some fishing.  Didn't have any luck though.  It's a good thing I had a nice sandwich for lunch otherwise I would have had an empty and fish-less stomach during supper time.

This past weekend we went for a hike up the Lake Fork trail off of Rock Creek.  It was much cooler than the previous weekend so that was nice.

Not only was the temperature cooler but the trail had some natural shade.

Along the edge of the trail some plants caught my eye.  Now, I'm no botanist but I could swear that I saw some plants that looked like huckleberry bushes.  I've been told that they do not grow east of the divide but these things sure looked like little tiny developing huckleberries to me.

My last picture is from a couple of weeks ago.  I've found some hot spots to go fishing and so far the summer count is up to 9 fish.  This is more fish than I have caught in the span of 2002 to 2010 combined!  So far browns are the most fun to catch and are the biggest trout I've landed, but brookies are the best tasting.  Prior to this summer the only brook trout I have caught (and ate) was on the Pack River before we moved to Oregon.  So it was a treat when I cooked up the brook trout (smallest fish in the picture) and re-discovered how good they taste.  The one I caught almost had a salmon-like taste.  They are small but from now on I think rather than tossing a small trout back, I'll look first to see if it is a brook trout.  If I see those worm-like markings on the back I just may be steaming up some tasty fish that night!

2 comments:

Rockhunter said...

Beautiful pictures of some awesome country. Some hike. I'd love to do it. Trouble is, the minds willing but the body say's "you gotta be kiddng". I know one thing, I'd have been swimming clothes or not when I got to that lake. Lake caught or stream caught fish? Bet they were good eating either way. Yum!!

Bull River Gal said...

Looks like you and Steph are having a good time hiking and exploring around the Billings area. Cool! Dad said, (notice that I said "DAD SAID") that you need to put a size gauge in your fish pictures...ha-ha! You know like an old ruler, or an object out of your tackle box like a hook dis-gorger that he knows is roughly 8 to 10 inches. HOWEVER, I must say that your Dad has only gone fishing once this summer, was gone for 2/3 of the day and came back with nothing but skeeter bites!! The water is running too high here still. The Kootenai is way higher than it was when your were here in May.