Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Greetings from the East Montana?

Hey Dave, since you've been a citizen of Montana longer than anyone else on this blog I have a question for ya.  Is Billings considered east or south central Montana?  I've heard people refer to the Billings both ways.  Anyway, I thought I would drop y'all a digital line to fill ya in on what's going on in this neck of the woods (be it east, southeast, central or whatever part of Montana that we live in).

The following set of pictures is a random collection from our various adventures over the past few weeks.  

Steph and I took a drive over the Beartooth Hwy and stopped for a pic.  I wish I had brought my tripod rather than balance the camera on our picnic blanket. 

The first couple of weekends Steph and I drove around and did some 'auto-exploring' around Billings.  It was fun but at some point you have to park the car and get out and do some walking.  So this past weekend we took a hike up the West Fork of Rock Creek.  It was pretty cushy walking with a level and well maintained trail, but for the first hike of the season maybe it was a good idea not to push it hard and feel like the living dead the next day.

Here is a picture of W. Fk. Rock Creek.

One of the reasons for taking this hike was that there was a couple of waterfalls a short ways off of the trail.  The falls were pretty neat but hard to get a cool picture without the potential of slipping off and doing the 'break-neck' flop on the rocks below.  This was my best attempt at a waterfall picture.


The neatest part of the hike was seeing a young male moose with his mama.  I wish my camera had a better zoom lens.  I could have tried sneaking up closer to get a better shot but after some thought I came up with this calcuation:

(sneaking up close to a mother moose with a youngin') = (cracked ribs and a trampled face)

....sooo I figured this pic would have to suffice.


Today I went out for some fishin' and caught my first fish of the season.  I drove up to West Rosebud Lake and the scenery alone was worth the drive.

Within a few minutes I limited out.  Here's a pic of the first brown I caught.  Not a monster but definitely a keeper.

3 comments:

Rockhunter said...

Sounds like you guys had a good exploring trip. Definitly beautiful country. Great fishing, fresh country air, and lots of subshine. What could be better? Well maybe a few nuggets in the stream as well.

Bull River Gal said...

Wow...love the scenery. Beautiful pictures. I see you caught your brown on a "Jake's Lure" as well..that must have been the magical pull for the fish to bite....Ha-Ha

Dave said...

Parts of Montana,Hell any time you get out and walk,take the pictures that I've seen that you take;I call that part of montana HEAVEN!ENJOY