Monday, June 4, 2012

Getting off of the couch!

Well I'm settled in and preparing for the fall semester!  I'm splitting my time with some R&R and class prep.  This may be the last summer I have off in the foreseeable future, especially if I can get some funding for summer research projects.  In light of this I'm trying to make the most of this summer, so that I do not look back on it with a shoulda/coulda/woulda mentality.  So I have been picking up the slack on the domestic front as far as cleaning, laundry and such so when the weekend rolls around we can git' out of town!

Two weekends ago the in-laws flew into Montana from Ohio.  They have never been to Montana and they do not really have much experience in outdoor activities.  Steph and I figured we would give them their first taste of the outdoors by going to Yellowstone Nat. Park.  They could see really cool geology and perhaps see some wild animals they have never seen before.  The hope is that they would really like it and want to come back for more outdoor awesomeness.

In addition to the Yellowstone plans we hoped that our folks could meet up.  Ma and Pa drove down from Noxon to hang out with us in Bozeman.  That was a lot of fun!  Our parents had never met before so it was a treat for everybody to visit with each other.  After a half day and a morning hanging out in Bozeman we split up with Ma and Pa and headed into the park.

We were prepared for rough weather but we didn't expect snow.  We got a dusting at Old Faithful.


At Mammoth Springs a dusting turned into an accumulation.  We didn't see much wildlife either.  I believe my mother-in-law thinks I'm a fibber as she said to me "Jason, where are these elk you told me about? I thought you said there were moose in Yellowstone?"
 I had to think fast "ahh... uhhh.. er... well you see elk are only found during times when the indian paintbrush flowers and it is a bit too early in the season for that.   As for moose they are primarily nocturnal creatures, they use their big nose as a sonar device to locate swamp plants at night for feeding."  The look on her face gave me the impression that she didn't buy my explanations.  I'm finding out that just because a person has a Ph.D. doesn't mean they can easily fool people.


The Sunday before Memorial Day the in-laws were bound for Cleveland.  Steph had Monday off and we decided that rather than be bumps on a log (or dents in the couch cushions) we would get out and do a half-day car trip.  The original plan was to check out a nearby wildlife preserve north of Billings.  That plan was successful in that we saw way more critters than the entire time we were in YNP.  We saw a pheasant, antelope (one of which being chased by a coyote), golden eagle, elk and a long billed curlew.  These long billed curlews are some weird looking birds long billed curlews   However, after driving through the "wildlife refuge" we started to think that it was just one long strip of open field.  We didn't see the whole area, perhaps the parts we didn't see are more scenic.  Steph noticed that we were close to the Little Snowy Nat. Forest.  I had no idea that Billings had any national forest area this close north of town so we decided to check it out.  It wasn't super spectacular but it was pretty neat to drive around and check it out.


We had so much fun a week ago that we decided to take another trip.  The Beartooth Hwy. opened up this past weekend so we went for a drive up there.  I took a boatload of pics but here are a couple of my favorites.


6 comments:

Rockhunter said...

Too bad it snowed at Yellowstone. There is so much to see when you are there. You will have to make a tripe there again in good weather.
Somewhere not too far from Billings I remember a Buffalo Jump visitors site. It was interesting to see that. Made me want to get out and dig for arrowheads but that's not permitted. Don't get too busy to stop and smell the flowers. Great pics.

dave said...

great pictures,the weather is typ montana!now if you are in this state much longer,get to the end of the road.hit the trail and get to end of the trail and keep on hiking.plan your hikes the right way.map,lots of water,bug and bear spray, flash light,matches,super size garbage bag,gps device,camcorder,camera,some eats and a good set of hiking shoes and thick heavy socks.with your hat and sun screen on;you should be able to do 10 to 25 miles on a two day weekend.I work a full week and still get out on the weekends starting in late july.we drive over 100 miles every late friday to camp.then set out sat. and sun. on our hikes.this has been a passion of mine ever since my school days.don't leave your senses in the rig!keep a log on your outings.let someone know where you will be hiking.if you go out alone,let people know where you keep your log.so if something happens to you,search party has a starting point.keep your eye on the sky!Montana boomers will kick your ass!Ask Phill.learn this:dust plus rain equals a f--ked drive out if you are in the wrong area!see you in the high--country.

Bull River Gal said...

Those weekend road/hiking trips can be a blast. Dave provided some very sound advice about tripping....most of which you are well aware from being in CO but i would bet that you could take away good advice in all that he said.

Jake said...

Yeah Dave thanks for the tips! I remember the essentials when Pop and I would go out on our adventures: bucket, hatchet and a shovel. I think they even told us about this is hunters safety education. I got sloppy though in Colorado because the good roads are pretty good (most two wheel cars can make it) and the bad roads... well that's another story. With the bad roads in Colorado you will either need:
*spare tires are frivolous you'll need a spare CAR, or
*equipment to radio a helicopter to get you out, or
*have the equipment to build a log cabin.
Roads in Colorado shouldn't even be called roads. The good thing is that these roads have posts like "4X4 vehicles only" one sign I came across said "you don't have to be insane to drive this road but it helps." So if you get stuck in Colorado, you were asking for trouble.

From the little I've driven around Montana so far it seems like there is a smooth gradient between good and bad. It can be deceptive as to the quality if the road from mile to mile. So I need to get back into the habit of keeping the essentials with me. I was reminded of this when Steph and I were driving around on the Little Snowy Nat. Forest. I got the stink eye a couple of times when it looked like we were going to be stuck in deep ruts filled with mud. However due to my superior driving skills (or luck, probably luck) we powered through the rough spots. I did make a mental note to purchase a hatchet, bucket and shovel for the next time we go out.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder Dave, I've had a few close ones over the years and it's always good to be prepared for the 'what if' factor.

Rockhunter said...

Jake, You need to see the backroads here in AZ. They make cow paths look like freeways in compairison. You don't want to get lost or break down on any of them. Our rigs are covered with scratches from the narrow tracks we have went on. When it gets to the point where even 4 wheel drive is getting hard to get thru,I usually chicken out and tell Phillip lets get out of this mess now. No further. If you have room in the rig, a come-a-long is also a nice tool to have.

Rockhunter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.