Sunday, March 29, 2009

About blue flowers

The blue flowers are camas. I just couldn't remember the name when I posted the picture. They were growing in this meadow with the oak trees. There is a creek just over the hill and there once was a huge Indian encampment on a rise across the creek. This meadow is the only place I have seen the camas growing down here. The Indians may have transplanted bulbs from somewhere else to grow here. There are Sego lillies here as well but they will bloom later. I think the Indians ate them too. We have seen Sego lillies up in the Bagdad area. They are profuse in Utah. We have found a lot of arrowheads in this area.

The oaks in this meadow area are small leaf oaks. Some of them are over a 100 feet high and have massive trunks. The burl on the oak is on a large leaf oak down by the creek. Lots of funny shaped burls on some of these trees. Out in the open the oak trees are more open spreading. Down in the washes they grow closer together and get huge.

This is a small leaf oak with a red grass in the forground. Grass is real nasty stuff. If you walk thru it you will find your socks, pantlegs and shoelaces covered with tiny red burrs. Harder than hell to remove.

Just had to get a picture of this oak reaching for the clouds just before a storm started to roll in.
Yeh ! I know my picture composition isn't the greatest but I take pictures of what interests me. Phillip usually takes pics with much better interest but his camera battery wasn't charged enough when he tried to take pictures.



1 comment:

Steph said...

I like the oak tree with the red grass in front. If you take it with the clouds just parting and the sun shining on the lone tree that would make for a prize winning picture!