Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this video editing biz'.  So if any of y'all want to upload videos I'll share some of my struggles with ya.  The key thing is to get the file size down below 100 megs and not make the show too crappy.   I don't know if there is some magic format that can compress long videos (long is anything over 4 minutes) and have nice visual/audio quality AND get the file under 100 meg.  I have tried a few different formats but the only luck I have had is when I use the Mpeg 4 format.

Well there's my two cents for what it's worth.  Ok, so this video here is of the Leadville "Ski Jouring" races.  Ski jouring is sport where cowboys team up with some crazy skiers and go barreling down a track with jumps.  This has been a tradition in Leadville since 1949.  Steph and I first noticed this watching the Warren Miller film "Children of Winter" this past fall.  I guess some guy who is some hot shot downhill skier thought he would give ski jouring a try.  He took a bad fall and nearly broke his nose.  In an interview he said something to the affect that he thought this was some yocal local drunken cowboy silliness, but after nearly getting his face torn off realized that you have to be tough and have some serious skill to try this madness.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

ski jouring can also be a skiier pulled by dogs rather than horses! Jake, you should have included some pics of your attempted ski jouring with Mom's dog Toby and my dog Lizzie! :)
Maybe you don't have those pics? I can't remember whose camera we tooks those pictures on. I'll look and see if I have them, and post them if I find 'em.

Steph said...

That was your camera, Lisa! I haven't seen yours or mom's pictures from Christmas.

And Jake - he DID break his nose and tore up the side of his face!! He was a wreck for months because he didn't realize you had to keep the rope taut for the whole ride.

At one point, we were at the end of the run waiting for the next rider...and all that came was a lone horse. No rider, no skiier...and then we saw the ambulence lights - yikes!!