Monday, March 23, 2009

Email Forwards

If you have email then you probably are a recipient of the "email forward" Possibly you are on some one's address list, you know the list they go to when they have something that they want to pass on down the line. I get these forwards all the time, I get them and I send them. I like the funny stuff, and the cute animal pics. and videos as well. Sometimes I will receive an email forward containing something pretty interesting, some even quite amazing. Every once in awhile I will receive some religious or spiritual forwards often containing a message of goodwill . All of that stuff is fine with me. I read them and pass them on, some go to all the folks on my list while others just go out to those I feel might appreciate them.  I think that's the way these things are normally done, with most Internet users that use their email on a daily basis. It's the norm, and I really don't have any problem with that, if I did I certainly wouldn't send out a single forward myself. 
For about two years now my inbox is inundated with these political forwards from just a few people that somehow got the idea that I want to see those types of forwards. You know I have never sent any of these people those types of political emails. I've never sent them to anyone nor will I ever do that, under any circumstance. You have to know what I'm talking about here, possibly some of you have your inbox frequented by the political forward from time to time. I only wish that it happened here from time to time, in fact I get these things every day, several of them, from people that I have never discussed my political views with. One person I know will send 4 to 5 emails per day, and sometimes [not always] they are all the political forward. In all of the cases where I get these forwards I can't simply block them because the senders are friends or relatives and I don't want to hurt their feelings or start trouble. 
Sad thing is, I guess that most of these political forwards are supposed to be humorous and I'm supposed to read them and laugh, maybe even the so called out loud laughing that they subscribe to in the bit of text they type above the actual message. I really can't seem to muster up a laugh, a yuck yuck, or even a simple chuckle or chortle. It's hard for me to get to chortlen' over some stupid political propaganda, that is neither funny nor clever. Man I realize that the country has got some problems, but come on! Where do they even find these things? Is there like a bunch of people out there with nothing better to do than sit around and come up with new ways to bash the opposing viewpoint. I thought that after the last election I would see a decrease of the political forwards, but in the past months it has only gotten worse. 
How do you tell someone that is sending you these things to stop it? Is there a way to do this using diplomacy that they apparently don't practice themselves? 
I've always thought of myself as a free thinker and tried to get both sides of an issue before making up my mind. Well in most cases anyway, I mean I don't need to see both sides on everything.  I wouldn't be able to sit and listen to some pedophile explain why he messes around with kids, without jumping up and wrapping my hands around his neck and squeezing till his blankin' eyes popped out. There are just somethings that you don't need to think over and weigh the points on both sides to determine if you are against it or all for it. That's where my so called "free thinking" really goes for a walk, and I get stubborn, like I do when I get one or ten of these political forwards. I find myself ignoring the message because of the agenda. I gotta wonder if those people sending me those types of forwards are thinking "Gosh, if I just send him hundreds and hundreds of these things a year, sooner or later he will bend to my way of thinking?" Well I'm getting bent alright.
Really, it isn't that great of a mystery as long as you apply the right labels, for instance I'm a "Tree Hugger", I always give a tree a big hug right before I whip out the chainsaw and make firewood out of it. I'm a"Non Meat Eater", until breakfast or lunch or dinner. I'm an "Animal Rights Activist", I give them the right to be breakfast lunch or dinner. After that, my political views  won't show in my emails, so I wish that others would keep their silly email politics away from my inbox. 

3 comments:

Jake said...

I try to avoid most of the email forwards. Especially the political ones. Mostly because they are constructed by pinheads that choose to spread blabber based on their own ignorant opinions rather than thinking about FACTS. Some of the non political forwards are kind of funny but I have found that most of them are a waste of inbox space. Rather than forwards I would much rather get a few lines typed by a loved one telling me about their lives or asking about mine. In my humble opinion that is worth much more than a forward that originated from somebody I don't know and passed on from somebody that I would rather get a personal email from. That is why I love this blog (way to go Grandma!) this is all stuff from people I know and care about so my vote is: more blogging and less forwards!

A=B+C said...

Good point Jake! That said, how the heck is everyone doing? All is well here on the Athol front.
Do you watch the O'Reilly Factor? I record it on the dish, and watch it in the mornings before the rest of the house is awake. I won't admit that to some of my friends, and just in case I might get caught I avoid key words and phrases like "pinhead" and "humble opinion" That would be a dead give away and my secret might get out.
GOOD ONE!

Jake said...

Hey Bill, Things are pretty good here but the weather tricked us into thinking it is spring. Now we are getting some more cold weather and I guess the "old man" is making a comeback. I don't watch/listen to O'Reilly much at all. From the small bits I've seen/heard he leans to the right but his stuff doesn't seem as visceral as others. He doesn't seem as bad as Sean Hannity, Billy Cunningham or my favorite Rush Limbaugh. I used to try to listen to Hannity back when I was in Ohio (didn't have internet or cable TV), AM radio was my only option for entertainment. At first I would laugh at how stupid his nonsensical blabber was but then it got irritating when I realized people were actually taking him seriously. I can handle Micheal Savage, he seems to be grounded in reality a bit more than other radio and TV personalities. I think O'Reilly is similiar to Savage. Really though these days I listen to NPR. Mostly podcasts as I can listen to them whenever I want. My favorites are "Car Talk", "Science Friday" and "NPR Shuffle". These shows are based more on facts and research. I prefer shows like this rather than ones based on superfluous idealistic opinions.