Thursday, May 6, 2010

The last fling.







I think this will be the last time we go out this way til fall. It was partly cloudy this day and we had a breeze so it didn't get too hot. Even with the breeze the no-see-ums were out and were winged vampires. Phillip had shorts on but I wore long pants. With the breeze they hovered closer to the ground and got your legs. They crawled up my pant legs and chewed me up. Damn bites itch for a week. As you see Phillip squats close to the ground when he digs so he got the worst of the bites.
As you can see I got a pile of the purple agate by my bag when Phillip took pity on me and came and dug more of the stuff from the hole. Had to dig this out of a basalt that was partly decomposed but still hard to pick the stuff out. I must have found something better than he did for a change or I'd still be digging the stuff. Phillip cut some of it up and threw it in the tumbler.
Good enough to hold the color after it is cut. Lots of sagenite in the agate.
Still snow up in the Bradshaw mountains. May be a while before we can get up there to try our luck at panning.
Although it has been hot on the desert, it has been cool up here. We lost the squash and melons for the 3rd time to frost. Have some planted in cups and I think Phillip said he was going to plant them out tomorrow. If they get frosted he will self destruct.
Been quite warm but breezy this week so far. Just hope it stays that way. Had the window open last night for the first time. Makes for great sleeping.
Granny

No comments: