Saturday, February 7, 2009

Another week and a new month.


Bloomers!! Now there's an old-fashioned word for you...True, today's bloomers are not like they were when I was a young...That wasn't as far back as the dark ages but the ones I started out with were made from flour sacks by my Mother... They covered you from your waist to your knees...They were made bloomery enough not to bind when you bent over...Before the second world war they had elastic in the waist and legs...After the war started, elastic was impossible to get, so the bloomers had buttons at the waist and legs...Instant disaster if you happened to lose a waist button, because safety pins were impossible to get too...
Ahh!! The joys of childhood...Echos from the brain... I see myself on the playground at school...First grade...Looking like a little old lady dressed in my long handled underwear, flour sack bloomers, 2 petticoats, (1 Knee-length,1 to the shoe-tops), boys high-top shoes, dress made from flour sacks that hung down to shoe-tops, ( long sleeved to cover the long handled underwear), apron , you guessed it!! made from flour sacks...
At this school we had what the kids now-a-days called monkey bars... Bars were at different heights...Some at 3 feet and others up so high only the 6th graders could jump up and reach them...I could swing on all of them I could reach with out the boys looking up my skirts...I mean what the heck... What could they see anyway?
I really hated wearing those darn bloomers even if they did preserve my dignity...
Now more brain- echos...One good thing about that time of my childhood was, I got to wear boys clothes a lot in the summer-time...Great for climbing trees, hiking and chasing around in general...During the war shoes were rationed so ration stamps were saved for school shoes...Boys shoes lasted longer...Until I was 9 years old I had to wear those darn bloomers along with one of the shorter petticoats or a dress that mom shortened and cut the sleeves off of when I went swimming...When my Grandmother wasn't around to preach to me, I would go swimming in my old boys overalls... I had worn holes in the knees, so I had mom cut them off for swimming...My Grandmother was a staunch Mormon and wearing those old cut- off overalls were considered almost naked... I wonder what she would think if she could see today's bloomers... If she weren't already dead she would die of shock I bet...Enough brain-echos...
You'll see I have added some new features to the blog...
Another thought to leave with you...A new feature...

YOU KNOW YOU'ER IN ARIZONA WHEN...people drive the temperature instead of the speed limit.
Granny

No comments: