Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wow!! Global warming?

This is global warming? We woke up to an inch of snow this AM. Should have got pics, but was so dreary looking. Melted fast when it starting pouring rain... Gonna be a few mud days now... Its still at it out there. pouring down the slight chance of rain we were supposed to have.
One of these days I'd like to get stepping stones put in all the way to the shed and the shop, then I wouldn't be tracking all the mud in with me. One good thing, won't have to water the garden today, maybe tomorrow either.
They were having a big dig down at Stanton this weekend...Play heck getting in the 5 miles of dirt road to get there.
Would have went yesterday but some guys came to get Steve's 5th wheel out of our yard. Had to be here because we didn't know them.
The Iris will be loving this rain. They are about to bloom. Too bad all I have down here are the purple ones... They are not the great big hybrids either.
I was watching the birds yesterday. They are doing the nesting thing. A pair of doves are building a nest in a bush growing under the big Hackberry tree in the front yard. The female is so picky at what she is using in the nest. She will pick up and discard about a dozen twigs before taking one she wants. There is a sparrow who is picking at the mat in front of the shop. pulling out the fibers for her nest. All the strings, threads and lint under the clothes line has dissapeared into the nests around here. There are a pair of Cardinals who have been here since we came. I don't know where they have their nest but it must be close. They stay around all year.
I always see the pair but never see any young ones...There are mocking birds in the oak tree out front and in the neighbors yard. They sure are the noisey ones... Phillip says they sing all night long but once I get my hearing aids out I never hear them... Phillip built a 2 family bird house. He still has to put it up...The wind and rain ruined the old one he had...He had it in a tree. I think he should fix a shelf on the side of the shed and put it there. The birds build nests under the eaves in a couple of places so it should work for them. One pair of sparrows has a nest on the outdoor telephone bell box. It's been there in use for years... He could put it above the security light. the birds always want to build a nest on top of it.
Righ now there are a lot of wild Ageratums blooming out in the yard... When I get the seeds from Bill I want to get them in so they will be established before we leave... Once they are growing the summer monsoons should keep them alive til they go to seed. I got the Hollyhocks growing this way... Only trouble with them is the darn wild pigs seem to like the roots... The ones I planted next to the Agaves are the only ones the pigs leave alone...I need a BIG pig trap... They say they are good to eat...

1 comment:

Steph said...

What are wild pigs?! Are they farm pigs that have run amok? I have never heard of a wild pig other than a boar and I didn't think those were in Arizona.

Also, forgive me, but when you said "All the strings, threads and lint under the clothes line has dissapeared into the nests around here." it sounds like you hang clothes up outside?? Don't they get wet/dirty/dusty? There are some articles of clothing we don't put into the dryer either and just hang on a rack or a chair but indoors.

Sorry, I am just a city girl and am trying to understand these things!