Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Settled in and trying to get down to biz!

Wow, I've been incognito over the past few weeks.  I was in a whirlwind of trying to finish up my schoolin' and get moved up to Montana.  Well I pulled it off and I think I still have my sanity intact.  I'll get back to y'all in a few weeks to see how the ol' sanity is doing.

So I was able to get everything wrapped up at Colorado School of Mines and relocate to Montana.  Dad and I split the driving into two sections because we didn't hit the road until after 1 P.M. when we left Golden, CO.

It was nice to get some rest, plus we rolled into Billings right around lunch time.  Steph was making some tasty Mediterranean pasta and oatmeal cookies.  It was a nice combo of smells to come home to!  As an added surprise she made a sign for me.



That was really sweet of her, but unfortunately we couldn't stick around.  Dad and I unloaded everything from the truck and set up the bed in the main bedroom.  I unpacked the microwave and it's components and gave Steph a kiss and said "sorry hon, I gotta get back on the road to get Dad back to Noxon."  So we spent a night in Billings and it was back on the road.  I spent a nice full day with the folks (too short though) and then I was back on the road again to my new Montana home.

When I got back to Billings, I sighed when I looked at all of the boxes that filled the kitchen area "where are we going to put all of this crap?"  Well, we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.  We gave a bunch of stuff to St. Vincent and recycled some of our stuff.  Some articles were plain junk so they went straight into the trash bin.  There is still a little bit left but 90% of it is taken care of.  All in all I'm pretty proud of what we were able to get done.  We have to have this place in tip-top shape as we have Steph's folks flying in from Cleveland, OH.

I was even able to squeeze in some time with my fellow physics professor colleague at Rocky Mountain College.  He helped set me up with an ID badge and keys to the lab.  I hope to spend time this summer preparing my lectures and going through labs and working out the kinks before I subject my students to them.

I ran around all the government offices in Billings to get set up with my residence requirements (it would be nice to go hunting this fall without getting soaked with out of state fees).  So my ol' truck now has plates from the fourth state I've lived in.  I've had it for 15 years, still running but I think the days are limited.  I'm going to save up for a down payment on a new one when the paychecks start rolling in around September.



I do not start my new job until August.  I've been getting all kinds of 'jabs' from my buddies ranging from "slacker" to "house husband."  I just smile and say "well, I have a job waiting for me, how's your search going?"  Heh, heh, hee hee!  I can take it but I can dish it out too.  So, I will be the house husband this summer but I definitely will not slack.  This could be the last free bit of time I have until I retire or take sabbatical.  I'm going to make the most of it.
          First I would like to have all my lectures written out so that I do not have to do this in the fall.  I've had so many prof's in the past that are just as bad if not worse than students when it comes to last minute cramming.  I've seen them right before class getting frustrated trying to throw their lecture together.  Typically the first part of the lecture is good (this is the part they were able to complete just before the start of class) then 'wing' the rest of it (which is done from memory, and 'on your feet' thinking).  I hopefully can avoid that scenario by preparing lectures this summer.  As I mentioned before I would also like to run through the labs so that when students come up to me and say "this doesn't work."  I'll at least be familiar with the setup to give them some help.
         Second I'd like to get started with a few grants and proposals.  My primary job is to be an effective educator, but the college would also like to see some research.  I have a few ideas of things I think would be interesting, but they will take money and to get money I have to type up a convincing proposal.  I don't think I will be able to write a full proposal this early in the year but it couldn't hurt to think about it and type up a few drafts.
         Lastly I would like to squeeze in a bit of fun.  I would like to do some reading that doesn't involve math or physics.  98% of the books I've read over the past 12 years have titles like "Analytical Mechanics" and "Electronic Materials and Devices."  I would like to read something just for kicks.  Also, toward the end of July I would like to head up to Noxon to visit with the folks a bit longer and get some fishing time in along with some possible huckleberry picking.

Well see.....

I hope y'all out there have an awesome summer and can work hard and play harder!

1 comment:

Rockhunter said...

Hey! I'm wore to a frazzle just reading your post. Glad to hear you are getting settled. Don't forget to take time to smell the wild flowers. It can't hurt to add some fishing and gold prospecting as well.