Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Quartzite

Phillip and I went over to Quartzite this morning... On the way over we topped the short pass between Congress and Agulia ... Looking down into the valley, where Aqulia is situated between two mountain ranges, we were treated to the most awsome mirage ever... The scene ahead of us looked like the skyline of Chicago from the lake or something... All the small houses looked like they were skyscrapers... The fields were turned into a huge lake... And the mountains surrounding the valley were massive cliffs instead of the high crags that are really out there... The mountains off toward California looked like they were flat top mesas... We had wittnessed this mirage once before but not as spectacular as it was early this morning...
Quartzite was a beehive of humanity as usual...Density seemed to be 10 the square foot...Somebody must have made a new find of Dino bones in Utah as there were many dealers
that had massive chunks as well as the coprolites... I stocked up on some more of the garnet beads to make the necklaces with... Had to get a few findings and a used blade for the saw... Looks like new... Whole lot cheaper... Got oil for the saw... We are going to try the new synthetic oil this time... Most oil is $ 25. a gal but the new stuff is a blend of oils with a mineral oil base... I read where a lot of the rock cutters are going to it now... Smells better and is kinder on your skin...At $6. a gal it means a lot to the pocket book...
Phillip has started spading up the garden spot... He's thinking spring... Anyway it's time to plant the potatoes , snow peas and chard...Next week I will start some zucchini seeds in cups in the window...I've been unsuccessful so far in getting Phillip to use some old glass that was on the solar hot water heater, to make a small hotbed... Maybe if the squash plants get too big and start to droop over the sill, he will capitulate and make the hotbed... My fingers are crossed... I just have to get his nose away from the grinding wheel...Hey!! That's not the way it goes... I have to push his nose closer to get it done...Right?...Right!!... He does like to cut those stones... Anyway, have a good one ... Granny

3 comments:

Bull River Gal said...

I was wondering if you were going to make it down to Quartzite. Sounds like Phillip is sticking closer to hame this year over what he did last year. Planting a garden ............. wow, a few minutes ago, I checked the temp outside and it was 19 degrees!! But I am staying warm and cozy in the house.

Rockhunter said...

He is trying to get some stuff done he has been putting off for a while...Methinks he has been peeking at the way I organize my chores...He didn't put a garden in last year because it took forever to warm up. It was 78 down in Quartzite yesterday and 56 up here on the bench. Today it got up to 54 but it was partly cloudy... Sprinkled a little last night and is supposed to start raining again next monday...Not expected to be cold...I'm trying to get the shop straightened out AGAIN so I can do something in there...You say you are going thru your tote box for zippers and such... What size zippers will you need for the sleepers?... Are you putting any elastic in the waist?...I'll look thru my material and see if there is something suitable for girlie outfits...Mom

Bull River Gal said...

Yeah, I am getting all sizes of zippers from 6" to 22" with 22" being what I put in the sleepers for Travis. I have some zippers that I had torn out of garments before throwing them away but not many. I went into Walmart the other day and bought 15 of them: 7", 9" and 12" and two 22 for sleepers. I can also use thread, bias tape, rick rack, piping.......you know that kind of stuff. I check the two trift stores that are in Sandpoint but rarely rarely do you find that kind of stuff up here!!