Saturday, January 14, 2012

Busy day




Well this was just about it. I started out with good intentions. Phillip decided to take a day off on his own and so I decided to try and bring some organized chaos to the rock shop since we have some people from Canada coming down on the 24th. There are so many rocks, boxes, equipment and stuff to move I got discouraged right away. I did do some bench cleaning and putting things back where they belong. Phillip can always use things but never seems to get finished enough to put things away again. Anyway I closed up the shop and went in to get some lunch. Donna called and after talking to her I just said to hell with it.




Phillip had a good day though. He hiked into a place and started to find fossils. Some large pieces of bones turned to rock. No teeth but this is an area where they did a mastadon dig while I was staying at Stanton. I would like to get in and do some looking too but Phillip says it's too far for me to walk in, look and walk out of. You know him and his long legs, he can cover the ground fast. He also found a broken spearpoint and a couple of broken arrowheads and one good one. Damn kid!




When I went to the mastadon dig I met a kid who had found a big tooth in a wash a few miles away. He wanted to talk to the forest service people there and see if he couldn't get it identified. A teacher from the Prescott college told him not to let the forest people even see the tooth or they would take it away from him. Told him to bring it to the college and they would get it identified for him. Turns out it was a rhino tooth. He found it in the main river channel and didn't know where it came from.


Phillip may have stumbled onto the site it came from. He plans to look more before he tells anyone about where it is. I suppose he will want to get back to it soon. He said he saw footprints that must have been from a hunter. They never crossed the fence like he did, so the other person probable never went into the area if he had to cross fences. Phillip said there was lots of elk sign in the area but I don't think elk season is open now. Just deer, pigs, and birds. Phillp said up at the head of the wash was a spring with a trickle of water and that's where the indian encampment was.


Suposed to rain tomorrow. Who knows. Monday too. We need the rain but not the mud that comes with a lot of rain. If it rains maybe we can get the shop finally cleaned out. Maybe?

1 comment:

Jake said...

Nice find! I rarely come across cool stuff like that!