Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wow! It's the busy season.


Phillip and I got out a while back and headed up the river to do some panning since we had to go up to Prescott anyway.
Phillip put his tools up on the bank and was waiting for his glory hole to clear up so he could use the sucker tube in it. He didn't do too bad. He wouldn't have got a thing with out the tube. He never leaves home without it. Right!!
We both took a lot of pictures and I got this one of a little tree frog perched up on this stump about 3 feet off the ground. He had a dandy climb up I think. I took a couple of pictures of him and when Phillip got back from taking pictures up the river (creek) I showed him the frog. He had climbed all the way to the top and turned around to face us. Phillip got another picture of him but didn't turn out because he was too close so it was blurry.
Looks like Bill has been hard at work. I love the rock work he has in what he calls his grotto, and all the flowers. Wow! and I also love the twin towers arbor. Going to have to get some of the other seeds from him. We gave him some scarlet runner beans a few years back but didn't keep any for myself. I thought I did but nada. I still have to transplant the daisys and the petunias I started. They are almost big enough now. I find we have more daturas and wild alyssum coming up where I planted hollyhocks. I love them both even if they are weeds. Hey Bill! I need you to save some asparagus seeds for me. I would like to get a bed started down here. I'd like to get a rubarb plant too someday. I saw some up at the seed store but they wanted 20 bucks for them.
Jake, you will have to blue your metal gold pan. When you get out and about build a small camp fire and after it burns down a bit, put your pan in it. After it turn blue then rake it out. That helps keep the rust down and makes the gold stay in it better. Softens the metal somewhat so don't quench it. Never but NEVER put oil on it. Clean the rust off with sand if posible before bluing. I dont know how you got by with out a screen before. That's the hard way to gold pan.
I still haven't figured out how to insert pictures in the blog at intervals instead of just at the top. If some one can tell me how I will thank them forever.
Had a brain echo. Dreamed I won the lottery and went to Australia . It was too damn hot down there and I didn't find any opal. Had a tent and the rabbits wouldn't stay out so I had rabbit poop all over the floor. Stepped in some getting out of bed and that woke me up. Now, does that portend to anything but a dumb dream or is it my grandiose karma is going to kick in good for a change? Que sara, sara!

3 comments:

Jake said...

Thanks for the tip Grandma! Next time we go camping the pan is going in! I liked the metal pan because of its size and I'll felt like it was ol' timein'. I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I thought I would be all cool and old school over the people that have the big plastic numbers. After trying it once I have my doubts "hmmm..... maybe I should have bought a plastic one." We'll see if it works better after the blueing process.

Jake said...

You were wondering about inserting pictures. I'm not sure if this will help but here's what I do.

I just insert picture by picture (one at a time) and then type text in between the pictures after inserting them. The thing that stinks is that it seems like it just stacks pictures on top of the last one inserted. So if you want to have a storyline with your pictures then insert the last picture in the story first and insert the first picture of your story last. I know this sounds dumb but I haven't figured out how to tell Blogger how to sequence objects like text, pictures and videos. As far as I can tell it just shoves everything at the top.

A=B+C said...

Thanks for the pics. I love the little tree frogs. I wouldn't buy asparagus seeds. You really don't want to wait 5 or 6 years to harvest. With seed, you will have two years till you can cover the beds with enough soil to reach that 10 to 12 inches, that it takes to bury the roots deep enough. Then you won't see any thing worth picking for two or thee years. We bought two year root crowns and on the third year after we planted we got to harvest some. This year we had asparagus coming out of our ears and we lost so much to frost in the beginning. If you hold off, till next May I will dig up parts of my beds for separation, and will pick out some real nice crowns and ship them priority mail to you guys. That way you can begin to eat some a lot sooner.

Oh yes, also I have not yet begun the rock construction of the grotto. Nothing more than digging the hole. I have been working on the fire pit. When I picture my grotto, I see several steps down into a rock lined, rock covered area [small] with one or two rock benches to sit on. A place where we can sit out of the harsh heat of the summer sun. I just have to figure out how to reinforce the ceiling of this future [so-called] grotto so that I don't get my fat ass squashed the first time I sit in there.

Did you get your movies?