Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Down by the river.

Took a run down to the river to relax in the cool. First thing we saw as we drove down in to the water, was a cayote. He must have been looking for the nest of the resident mallards. We usually see the male duck swimming in the pool at the road crossing. He was't there but seeing the cayote I can guess he flew off to distract the sneaky thing. Phillip took the chairs out of the rig and set them up in the shade. It might be hot, but not hot enough for me to sit with my feet in the water yet.
Phillip took a hike and the camera with him and I was sitting there listening to all the birds. A hummingbird buzzed up by me and gathered spider webs for it's nest. Came back for seconds and thirds. Gonna be a cozy nest with all those webs for a lining. Saw another small bird doing the same thing. knew hummingbirds used webs but I didn't know any other birds did. Don't know what kind it was but it was green back with a bright yellow belly. Lots of birds down there I don't know what they all are. I can hear a lot of different birds but with all the tree leaves I can't see them.

While sitting there I saw a tiny yellow spider as big as the head of a straight pin, spinning his web from a blade of grass to the ground. Wonder Phillip or I hadn't stepped on him. So many tiny bugs and ants of all sizes crawling around I suspect he catches some things to eat if something don't get him first.

There are some of the weiredest bugs down here. There are some who go down in the ground by puffing dirt out of their way. The make a cone shaped hole about an inch and a half deep. Ants fall into them and can't get out because the sides keep falling in on them. Then the bug who is hiding just under the sand grabs the ant or bug and eats it. Real crazy to watch.

Saw the resident heron fly upstream for lunch. We hadn't seen him for a while then one day there he was in the pool at the crossing.

The hawks have hatched out and the parents are in a frenzy to keep them fed. Also see there is a vulture nest up in the cliff above the road. First time I have seen a vulture nesting.

After Phillip got back, the residen turtle swam down stream to the pool. I wanted Phillip to get a picture of him but the turtle hid down in the watercress roots. First time we have seen him this year. Last year Phillip picked him up but he never took his picture.

Was a beautiful day. A slight breeze and a few puffy clouds. Only one propane truck took the river crossing instead of the bridge.
Granny

2 comments:

Bull River Gal said...

Sounds like you had my ind of day...now put a quilt in my lap for some hand sewing...perfect day!!!

Jake said...

Ya gotta love those days where you can kick back and relax!