Sunday, September 19, 2010

Getting motivated!

Last night I had the intent to get up early and try my hand at fishing the Blue River north of Silverthorn. I set my alarm for 6:30 A.M. so I would be there before the sun rolled into the valley. When the alarm went off this morning though I felt like fishing was less favorable than crawling back into bed for more sleep. I checked the reg's and thought "ehhh... I can only keep two fish and both of them have to be over 16 inches..." I have fished the Blue before and I've caught some decent fish, by that I mean I fished it the summer of 2003 with 15 outings and landed one rainbow that was about 13 inches. Sooooo, I crawled back into bed. I got up about 9:45 and felt pathetic. Since I was not going fishing I felt I had to motivate so that I would not feel like a total lazy slob. So I ate some breakfast and put on my hiking clothes and hit the trail. The goal was to walk out my door and hike all the way to Buffalo Bill Cody's grave site/museum, which is about 5 miles uphill from where I live.

Steph and Sis are familiar with the network of trails that link up to the Lookout Mt. Road where the museum is. However, they may not be familiar with this new trail. The Jefferson Co. park system must have cut the trail not too long ago.

There were other changes as well, this section of Apex trail has been re-routed.

One thing I thought was a bit scary is that it looks like they have been thinning out trees on the "Enchanted Forest" loop. I think it is kind of scary because we have had three big fires in Colorado and here is a tinder box of cut trees all dry as a bone.

After slugging up the trail I finally made it to the top. Here is a picture looking west from the museum parking lot.

Here's a picture looking down on Denver. Denver doesn't have the best air quality so this picture is a bit hazy. The haze that normally exists is supplemented with the fires going to the north, so this would be a neater looking picture under different circumstances.
Around 4:00 I made it back home with tired feet and a tad dehydrated. It was worth it though and I feel like I did something today other than loaf around. Maybe next week I'll go fishing on the Blue River.

No comments: