Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Gettin' off the couch and doing some hiking!

Steph and I were suffering from cabin fever from being cooped up all winter. So we decided that the best way to shake off the winter blahs was to get out and hike some trails near Golden. What helps is that Steph was a big winter at this years Banff Mt. Film fest. 'Radical Reels' tour.......

http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainculture/tour/radicalreels/

Every year I go to watch cool videos but hope that I can win some cool stuff as well. Every year I come up empty handed but this year Steph won a stack of books from the Colorado Mountain Club on hiking in the Denver & Boulder area. I priced these same books at Barnes and Noble and they are worth about $150. Not bad! So we have been reading up on cool places to hike and I have been surprised by the trails so close to Denver but really are in nice areas away from road noise and such. I'm all about setting out for adventure (by the seat of your britches) but reading up on places before you go does have some advantages, like finding hidden 'gems' in places you never would think to find them. For about a month and a half we have been going out for a 3 hour hike once a week. We had to take one weekend off because of bad weather. We've been seeing a lot of new places and racking up the mileage on our shoes!

This is a picture of Steph and I on top of Mt. Evans



Here is a picture of Maxwell Creek on the Maxwell Falls trail.


At the end of the "Alderfer/Three Sisters" hike we finally got to get a view of the...... Three Sisters. I can't say that we saw Alderfer though.

No comments: