Saturday, October 24, 2020

new

What waits at the cabin?

Back from the retreat, Linc puts the tote with the packages, in the
truck, then goes in the cabin to help Lucas get it all cleaned up for
the winter. He put the chairs upside down on the table and the bucket
he put the dog food in, on the table too. He turned the wash basin
upside down over the soap dish as Lucas started to sweep the floor.
He took the dirty laundry out to the truck, shook the rugs and put
them in the truck as well. As he was going back to the cabin, he got
a phone call from Sherriff's office; They said a deputy was bringing
some one out to the cabin. Linc went out and opened the gate so they
could come in. He wondered just what this was all about.
Back in the cabin, he helped Lucas finish up with the cleaning.
A while later the deputy came in with another car with Nevada state
emblem on the side door. Linc picked up Angel as they came in. The
deputy came over to Linc and Lucas with two other men. One was an
oriental. The deputy said to Lucas, " sorry about this, Mr. Hanks, but
these gentlemen have a court order I am obliged to bring to you. He
handed it to Lucas. Lucas looked at it then handed it to Linc,
telling the deputy, " that's ok there Don, I no longer own the
property, Linc does."
Linc Put Angel down as he took the paper. She had to go and sniff at
the men. The oriental kicked her and she yelped. Linc fumed. At him.
" that was all uncalled for. You are here on her territory and she
has every right to check you out". "I don't care, just keep him away
from me because I hate dogs" said the man. Linc had picked Angel back
up, and now handed her to Lucas so he could read the paper. After
reading it he said to the man who seemed to be in charge, " This is
an order to give you access to safety check my mine. I don't have a
mine There is no longer a working mine on this property. The mining
claim was converted to a homestead over 50 years ago. So now there is
no longer a working mine." The deputy said, " the Sherriff already
explained this to them but they went and got the court order anyway"
By now Linc was truly ticked off. He glared at the men and said. " I
want to see your credentials. You turn up here with out any safety
equipment and demand to inspect a non existent mine, what am I
expected to do. Just calmly let you push me a round? Well it ain't
going to happen.". Then the head guy took out an ID card and handed
it to Linc who took it and said. This is not your safety inspector
ID, That's what I want to see." He handed it back to the man who told
him he don't carry that around with him.
They heard the oriental guy shout, " Hey boss look at this, It's
what I look for".. He was standing in the trench with some of the red
mud in his hands Linc yelled, " Oh my god. Put that stuff down
and get the hell out of there you damn fool. That stuff is loaded
with Arsenic, and you have it on your bare hands and your feet. Don't
track it all over, and contaminate my yard. just get back in your car
now."
The oriental rubbed his hands on his pants and climbed out of the
trench, screaming "water, water, I need water to wash it off." Linc
said, " we get our water from the creek, and if you go near the creek
to get arsenic in it, I will tromp you into the trench and cover it
up." The oriental ran for the car.
The head man said, " One phone call and I can have you shut down for
good. No more mining." "Go ahead. You can't close the tunnel any
more than the last earthquake did. It collapsed part of it so no one
could get in, anyway.
Deputy, get these phonies off my property". " With pleasure," he
said. And lead them off. Lucas roared with laughter as they pulled
out of the yard. " I bet that dude has wet pants about now. You
really laid it onto him about all the real bad arsenic in that stuff".
" Serves him right for kicking Angel. I hope he has night mares for a
long time. I am going to have John bring the front end loader up and
cover that trench up. You can bet that jackass will never forget that
rusty dirt now. They will be back, somehow, you can bet on it. " he
said as they went to get in the truck.

In town they went to the UPS and sent the packages off, then went to
the Tractor Supply store and got a collar. leash, more dog food and
food dishes for Angel. As they were pulling out of the store, the
Sherriff pulled up by them and said to Linc, " I want to talk to you.
Go on over to Annie's café. I'll buy lunch, Ok? " Linc gave him
thumbs up and drove on over there.
They had just ordered sandwiches when Buck, the manager from the
Mamouth mine came in. He spotted the Sherriff and came over, excused
himself to Linc and Lucas and sat down. He said to the Sherriff, " I
was just headed for your office when I spotted your cruiser here.
Some thing is going to have to be done with those con artists here in
town bugging the miners and disrupting operations at all the mines.
They are getting to be a damn nuisance around here." The Sherriff
said, " I think from what Linc and my deputy has told me about their
visit to his property, They will be leaving shortly, if they haven't
already gone. Linc tells me the oriental guy got into a trench he had
made to drain a seep of rusty water from the old tunnel, that had
stained the dirt very red. He had it all over his hands and feet.
Linc scared the crap out of him telling him it was highly contaminated
with arsenic. Any way, be a while before they come back, and I bet
they will. Linc here said they are looking for rusty stuff, and they
think they found it at his place. Going to have to watch out for
them". They all laughed, and Buck said, I hope that dude has Bad
dreams the rest of his life. I sure hope they have gone for good, but
like you, I doubt it. If you guys need any help there Linc, we will
back you up". Thanks said Linc. " I'd like to blow the tunnel shut,
but I'm afraid it would start the leak up again, now that it's
stopped. I'm going to have John bring the front end loader up and
cover the trench up, and pile some of the old tailings up against the
old adit". Hey Buck said, I can have one of the men run a bigger
machine over there tomorrow and really bury that old tunnel and
trench to where they will never find it in a million years". "Sounds
good to me, give me a call so I can be there to let him in".." Will
do, Buck said as he pushed back his chair and stood up. By the way
there Lucas, you are looking mighty good for an old codger who had a
stroke not too long ago." "Thanks, said Lucas. Linc here keeps me
active".

After Buck left, the Sherriff got up to leave and said, " Glad I
caught you guys and got some things cleared up. That main con guy
wanted you arrested for having a toxic pit in your yard, Said his
assistant had a hard time getting all the mud cleaned off him, and I
told him they were not there to play in the mud, and he got all out of
joint about it, but is nothing he can do about it. You can be sure
they won't let it rest. Let Buck's man do the job and make liar's
out of them.". " Plan to. And thanks for lunch", said Linc.

Back at the ranch, :inc unloaded all the stuff from the truck while
Lucas and Angel went to take a nap.

To be continued.

No comments: